…is open to all Stanford community members at all levels from beginners to experienced. Belay classes are available for free to anyone with access. Standard equipment is available for rent at the Outfitting Center. Also check out our classes; both PE & Recreational are available in climbing technique, conditioning, and technical skills. The Climbing Wall also hosts campus-wide community events as well as Stanford Community group climbing events and clinics.
Climbing Wall Hours
* The Stanford Climbing Wall will be closed 3/22/14-4/6/14 in preparation for our annual climbing festival “Climbers Rage Against Gravity”. Registration is open for CRAG and it will be our best routes of the year! The bouldering center will remain open during these dates. Thanks! -SCW Staff
|Monday||4:00pm - 10:00pm|
|Tuesday||11:00am - 1:00pm / 4:00pm - 10:00pm|
|Wednesday||4:00pm - 10:00pm|
|Thursday||11:00am - 1:00pm / 4:00pm - 10:00pm|
|Friday||2:00pm - 8:00pm|
|Sunday||4:00pm - 7:00pm|
Climbing Wall Rules
All climbers must read before climbing:
- All roped climbers must check in at the Stanford Climbing Wall front desk with an appropriate identification card.
- All climbers must read, understand fully, and sign the “Assumption of Injury Risks and Agreement for Voluntary Participation”.
- No food or drink on mats (with the exception of water in a container with a screw tight lid).
- Clothing appropriate for activity should be worn at all times including closed toed shoes on the wall and no bare feet on the floor. Climbers must also wear a shirt at all times.
- No loose chalk is allowed in the climbing gym.
- All personal belongings should be stored off of the padded area and are not the responsibility of the Stanford Climbing Wall staff.
- While bouldering no part of the climbers body should pass the bouldering limit signs. Proper Spotting technique is Highly Encouraged.
- Do not climb underneath or above other climbers.
- Participants must pass a Stanford Climbing Wall belay test for each academic year before belaying. You may only use a aperture (ex: verso or ATC) or assisted locking device (ex: gri gri or cinch).
- Proper PBUS/PLUS belay technique must be observed at all times and Stanford Climbing Wall Staff will be the only ones to teach belay lessons.
- Climbers must tie in with a figure 8 follow through with at least 4” (approx. 10 cm) of tail.
- Harnesses must be used in accordance with manufacturer recommendations.
- Climbers and belayers must always double-check each other before each climb.
- No rings or loose jewelry while climbing, long hair should be pulled back.
- Metal bolt hangers are not holds and should not be used as such
- Stanford climbing wall staff reserve the right to refuse wall access to anyone due to the unsafe use of climbing techniques and/or equipment.
- Unaccompanied minors are not allowed
These rules are designed to reduce the chances that climbers, belayers, and spectators get injured. Even with all rules being followed injuries, including serious injuries and death, can occur. You must recognize that climbing is an inherently dangerous sport and that your safety is your responsibility. If you have questions please ask the climbing wall staff before climbing.
Questions or Comments? Contact: